In this task, you will develop an understanding of game mechanics that can be used in instructional settings.
EXPLORE AND LEARN
1.If you haven’t already done so, view the introductory POWTOON video below. (NOTE: If you are unable to view, go to and the https://youtu.be/OYZcWh2EmZA link will open in a new window.)
2.Then, view the continuation of that video in an introduction to the art of ‘gamification’ of coursework. (NOTE: Again, if you are unable to view, go to https://youtu.be/7Sv-oZ_cOvw and the link will open in a new window.)
3. Review the article at: http://www.eidesign.net/blog/top-6-benefits-of-gamification-in-elearning/
4. Then, view the PREZI below to identify the elements of game design that can be used to ‘gamify’ class instruction. (PLEASE NOTE: Through these game tasks, we are modelling for you how you might use gaming mechanics in your own class. However, in order for this to be effective we are relying on your commitment to professional development. The Gamified TPACK Teacher Quest can introduce you to the material, but it is up to you to seriously and meaningfully consider the content. You can start by exploring the frames that look most interesting to you in the Gamification Prezi below – it is not necessary to view all of the information, unless you find it very interesting!!)
If you have difficulty viewing, click on the link http://prezi.com/mkz8rwybapkj/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0 share and it will open the PREZI in a new window.
1. Create a report that explains two reasons teachers may want to consider using game mechanics as instructional strategies. Feel free to include a personal examples – how could you use gamification in your own teaching?
2. SAVE the report for submission at the conclusion of ALL tasks for this BADGE (G1 & G2). You will submit all reports/products when all tasks are complete.
NOTE: You may submit your report in three ways: text, audio, or video.
- A text report MUST be brief (200 words MAX – that’s about 4 to 5 good sentences).
- An audio report (no longer than a minute – 30/45 seconds would be best) will be created in SOUNDCLOUD. Click here for a tutorial for how to create a SOUNDCLOUD or visit the HANDY4CLASS QUICKSTEPS.
- A YOUTUBE video (no longer than a minute – 30/45 seconds would be best) will be created using the digital video device you can access and the video file uploaded to your YOUTUBE channel. Click here for a tutorial for how to work with YOUTUBE or visit the HANDY4CLASS QUICKSTEPS.
You are now ready to complete the second task of this badge – click on the link below.