What is a VoiceThread?
A VoiceThread is a multimedia slide show that is created using images, documents, and videos that are self-navigated by the viewers! However, the unique feature of this Web 2 online tools is that it allows people to collaborate/have discussions/share by leaving comments in 5 ways: text, microphone, webcam, phone, and audio-file upload. Explore the following VoiceThread called What is a VoiceThread?
Then, check out VoiceThread – A Valuable Classroom Collaboration Tool for more information!
You may also want to use the following links to explore how teachers are using VoiceThread in the classroom and online to stimulate discussion and engage learners in learning from each other!
How to Build a VoiceThread
The VoiceThread support team has developed an excellent resource for creating VoiceThreads that you will find at http://ed.voicethread.com/support/guides/, but they also have their own VoiceThreads that explain it all – available at http://voicethread.com/myvoice/#c28 that are available when you log into VoiceThread!
- Step 1: Download the PDF of images to your computer for an Internet Research activity! (PDFs are the preferred way to get PowerPoint slides into VoiceThread!)
- Step 2: Open your VoiceThread account and click on the CREATE tab.
- Step 3: Click on UPLOAD and upload the PDF to your VoiceThread (you may wish to use the following tutorial!)
- Step 4: Click on COMMENT to add a comment to get discussion rolling!
- Step 5: Click on SHARE and then click on GET A LINK – you now have a link you can share on Twitter or through any social media you prefer!
Check out the VoiceThread 4 Education wiki which holds information on many uses for VoiceThread in online and classroom use! Be sure to check out the Best Practices page of the wiki for these links, plus many tips on how to successfully integrate VoiceThread into your own teaching!
Or take a look at this list of Examples of VoiceThreads for Education.